At Thoresby Primary School we aim to develop a curiosity and a passion for learning a Modern Foreign Language within our pupils. We aspire that our curriculum will prepare them well for their language learning at KS3 and for any potential later life experiences.
Linking in with our key values, our MFL curriculum intends to; promote and celebrate an understanding of living in a multi- cultural society, provide an opening to other cultures and foster a curiosity about the wider world.
Being such a multi-cultural and diverse school ourselves (currently with xx different languages), the teaching of MFL is an important part of our school curriculum and day to day school life. We encourage, celebrate and highlight children learning other languages and learning about other cultures – including any languages the children speak at home with their families and carers.
The children use many different character skills when learning a language and this is emphasised and discussed with the children to enable them to see how the character skills in their ‘Thoresby Backpack’ can aid and support with language learning too.
Our chosen language focus at Thoresby is Spanish.
At Thoresby Primary School, children are taught Spanish in KS2, supported by the Language Angels scheme. The four key language learning skills; listening, speaking, reading and writing are taught together with the necessary grammar which is covered throughout KS2.
Children will progressively acquire, use and apply a growing bank of vocabulary, language skills and grammatical knowledge which are organised around age-appropriate topics and themes – developing the building blocks of language into more complex, fluent application.
In line with the National Curriculum for MFL, and following the Language Angels Spanish teaching scheme, over the course of KS2, pupils at Thoresby Primary school are taught to:
- listen attentively to spoken language and show understanding by joining in and responding
- explore the patterns and sounds of language through songs and rhymes and link the spelling, sound and meaning of words
- engage in conversations; ask and answer questions; express opinions and respond to those of others; seek clarification and help
- speak in sentences, using familiar vocabulary, phrases and basic language structures
- develop accurate pronunciation and intonation so that others understand when they are reading aloud or using familiar words and phrases
- present ideas and information orally to a range of audiences
- read carefully and show understanding of words, phrases and simple writing
- appreciate stories, songs, poems and rhymes in the language
- broaden their vocabulary and develop their ability to understand new words that are introduced into familiar written material, including through using a dictionary
- write phrases from memory, and adapt these to create new sentences, to express ideas clear
- describe people, places, things and actions orally and in writing
- understand basic grammar appropriate to the language being studied, including (where relevant): feminine, masculine and neuter forms and the conjugation of high-frequency verbs; key features and patterns of the language; how to apply these, for instance, to build sentences; and how these differ from or are similar to English.
When children leave Thoresby Primary, they will have a natural curiosity and confidence to explore, other countries, cultures and languages, accepting that, in a multi-lingual society it is a valuable skill to be able to communicate effectively with others in another language. They will be engaged and prepared to continue language learning at Secondary School.
Children at Thoresby Primary School will enjoy their Spanish lessons and discussing and finding out about other languages and cultures. This results in motivated learners with an enthused attitude to language learning.
- This leads to the KS2 MFL learning being a springboard for KS3 learning and beyond,
- Pupils will develop integral skills within the four main areas of listening, reading, writing and speaking.
- Pupils will have been provided with the firm foundations and knowledge for the next stage of their language learning.